Thursday, March 5, 2009

REMEMBERING MY TEACHERS

A few thoughts which came to my mind on September 5, 2008. The day is celebrated as Teachers' Day. On this day, I remembered a few teachers who were instrumental in shaping my mind and personality.
We had just shifted from Mumbai to Coimbatore and I joined in Class VI in the new place. Obviously, I was not at all familiar with Tamil though it was my mother tongue. After a few months, I told a cute girl in my class– a typical southie girl with long gagra, frilled blouse, long hair, well oiled and plaited, with jasmine flowers.. – that I loved her. It was a casual statement without any hidden meaning; given my age. And what a scene it created. Reporting to the Headmaster, calling both the students’ parents and what not. I was too young to understand what was happening. One of the teachers who trusted me somehow sorted out the whole issue with the girl’s parents and told that my statement was misunderstood. Somehow he convinced them. His advise to me was – In future, when you go to some new place, take your own time to know the people, the place and the customs and practices. That will help you in adjusting to the situation and avoid such unpleasant situations.
Next was my Maths teacher who spotted my eye problem. I had short sight (which was detected after an year) and was managing somehow seeing the black board and copying notes from my friends; naturally if they had done it wrong, mine was also wrong. Seeing the gradual deterioration in my grasping power, the teacher felt something was wrong and after provocations, I told him that I could not see the board properly. I was in Class VIII. Immediately he sent a note to my father and got the problem set right. What would have happened had he not bothered to ask me? Years later, when I met him and recollected the incident, his advise to me was – When you see some in a good position and things are getting bad for him, take the liberty of asking him what has happened. Perhaps, the solution might lie in the problem itself.
My next teacher who I always remember was my English Sir in Class X. Our family was going through a bad patch. This affected my studies also. The performance level was constantly coming downwards, though I did manage to hold on to the first five positions. Again, being too, too obese, I was a target of fun for most of the children. I used to feel ignored. I started becoming an introvert and turned into a silent fellow. But what I alone knew was that I developed stammering and was therefore avoiding everybody. My Sir instead of punishing me for some mischief I had done, went back to my old class teachers and sought their feedback. Class VI teacher told – He was a bright chap. So friendly and loving. Class VII teacher – Studied well + slightly moody. Class VIII teacher – Not grasping things quickly + irregular in paying fees + not participating in picnics, group activities. Class IX teacher – Studious, but seems to have lot of family problems. Well, these were sufficient inputs for the teacher. He knew that I had problems. One fine evening he called me to his house and talked a lot and lot and suddenly I poured out all my problems to him – obesity, family problems, stammering. What an encouragement he started showing. He put me into music classes to develop confidence and made me involve in all activities – painting, games, elocution competition, etc. He spoke to the other students and with a few months, I was back to my usual self. His advise to me was – When you see someone in a bad situation, instead of passing judgements, just find out his past. There has to be some reason for his behaviour. Analyse that and try to help him out.
Perhaps, the most unforgettable teacher I ever had was my Accounts teacher in Class XII. He joined our school while we were in XI. He had just finished his M.Com and was a damn smart guy, a real hero chap. He hailed from a nearby village and was a very simple person and had huge responsibilities at home. The entire commerce group students became his close friends and we had a jolly good time. He had special love and affection towards me. I was unable to remit the Higher Secondary exam fees (which was just Rs.40/- !) and the last date had already neared. My parents were hospitalized for jaundice and heart ailment. I did not know what to do. I was often called by the Office in the midst of the classes, reminding me to make the payment. The teacher sensed something wrong and after availing a Hand Loan (sort of Personal Loan) made the payment on my behalf. I would never forget the day when I, in front of the class, could not control myself and hugged him. My old friends whom I meet sometimes still recollect that day and the manner in which the teacher consoled me. His words I still remember – If you want to help others, no matter in whatever circumstances you are, try to do your best, if it is a genuine need.
Years later, may be I can say that life has taught me so many such lessons or even better lessons. But whenever I remember my school and my teachers, immediately these incidents come to my mind. I can never forget those effective advise. To all my teachers, each of you is in my mind and heart and you have taught us and loved us so much. Whatever I am today, it is because of your guidance and involvement also. Thanks all my teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment