Tuesday, March 31, 2009

MY MAIDEN DANCE EXPERIENCE

New Year means planning and preparing for resolutions also. Atleast I make an assessment of what I have done and not done during the year/years and then, plan something for the future. For me New Year and birthday, both are significant. On all birthdays, I take an honest assessment of myself and set some goals. As far as New Year is concerned, I have the practice of fixing some targets for a five year period. I remember having started this from the age of 5. I had set some targets for the period when I was 5 – 10 years, 10 – 15 years, 15 – 20 years and so on.(More about all these later) And yes, please wait….. I will tell … this new year I have taken some resolutions for 45 – 50. As I recalled my earlier resolutions for the eight five year spells, I could not help patting myself – wah, you have done something as per the plans. For the current spell, I decided to take some totally new resolutions. Nothing related to official – yes, I have had enough of it, I thought and; not even related to family affairs. SOMETHING FOR ME, MY OWN, JUST FOR ME, something that I would enjoy, something which I always wanted to, but could never do….. To some extent, I thought let me be selfish this time and concentrate only on myself. And then the entire December was spent thinking on what should be planned.

I had always loved dancing. And so, I thought why not learn dancing this time. I know it was a weird resolution…….absolutely meaningless and useless ?? Any value addition for me? Anything useful out of it? I did not have an answer, but felt I should give a try. And then decided, among few other things, it is going to be DANCE also for this five year period. May be it may help in keeping myself fit, active and in a well oiled, working condition… And when New Year approaches, what better is excuse is there for not dancing. I decided to dance on the New Year day itself.

The cultural programmes for the occasion were being chalked out in our Colony and I decided to give my name for that…. After all, a beginning has to be done and such a beginning in our home, in front of our own people, is worth a try. Already my family were 'disturbed' when I joined the garba classes and now when they knew about it, were horrified. How can I? But they knew that when I decide on something, I do that with dedication. So just kept quite.

On 20th December, I caught hold of a person to teach me. He visited my house and we discussed in general about dance, etc. I still recollect his 'worried look' when he knew that I am going to be his student ! Thrice he got it confirmed !! The songs I left to him. I told him to select peppy songs and give simple steps. He would come to our house for an hour daily. I ensured that everybody is out that time. For the first time, I understood how difficult it is to dance ! Garba was slightly easy because it was a combination of steps which were done repeatedly and the rhythm comes automatically. Here in dance, every word, every line, the actions would be different. It was frustrating initially. The beats and my movements were not at all coordinating. One week gone and I started wondering hoga kee nahi. To top it, couple of days, I had to go on tours too.

But teachers are teacher and hats off to Sanjiv, my friend. One day, he made me listen to the songs for two hours. He kept encouraging me. On 27th, for the first time, I could manage it 50% !! 30th again on tour and back on 31st morning. Like mad, I practiced. I found that having listened to the songs repeatedly, I had got tuned to the beats and the words and meanings were also clear by now. I was 75% confident of doing. I entered into a 'pact' with my daughter that in case of any difficulty, she would barge onto the stage and 'bail me out' in exchange for which I would permit her to use the scooty for a week.

The function started at 8 PM and of the 20 items, as per my request, mine was at No.18. Slowly I developed cold feet… Winter time here and by the time the 15th item came, I was sort of tense, walking up and down…. The residents were perhaps wondering that as President of the Association, I am busy overseeing the arrangements ! Suddenly when my name was announced, the entire colony were surprised…. Shocked? I had not informed anyone earlier excepting the Secretary of the Association and the girl who was compering the programme. But before I could back out, my boss walked on to the stage and announced that bacchon ko takkar dene ke liye, hamare taraf se Venkat is going to come. But what encouraged me really was his appeal to all; to just sit tight, enjoy and welcome me for the 'sheer guts' to give name for the performance.

On the stage, facing the 300+ people, I felt jittery. What if I fell down, what if the CD stopped, what if I forget the steps, what if the 'nada' in the pajama gave way (this happened during the garba resulting in some serious photographs), would I become a subject of mockery, itne saal ka izzat (ha ha, aisa kuch hai) ka kya hoga……My God, so many thoughts flowing in………and so weird, all negative thoughts and that too, for me. My wife was sitting pretty quite in a corner (ready to run?). My son was telling something to his friends…(humne papa ko pahle se hee mana kiye…) My daughter standing just below the stage and probably thinking…'papa will miss the first step itself and I should jump on the stage to join him'……… few friends cheering me up, with thumbs up sign…

Three songs medley I had prepared. Jeene mere dil lutiya, Bachna hai hasino, Desi girl. I prayed God and promised never to 'commit such mistake' in future and just help me this time. Earlier I had told my friends not to record the video as I was sure to fumble. The music starts…. The song Jeene Mere.. began with slow counts one to eight….Suddenly when the second eight count started, I was beginning to feel at ease… Third line.. wah, not bad I thought, fourth line…… pretty good Venki, I told myself. Then I signalled my friend to take the video. I felt quite at ease suddenly and could feel that I was doing ok. Absolutely no problem. Yes, I forgot quite a few steps (I saw that later on the recording), but never showed that and camouflaged that with different steps; without stopping. When Bachna hai hasino song came, the entire crowd started enjoying… and finally when Desi Girl came, the crowd, especially children and ladies were enjoying and clapping. The dance lasted for five minutes. When it got over, there was such a thunderous applause and everybody including the DJ people, security guards, cooks and his team of staff, gheroed me, hugging and congratulating me……………. everybody seemed to be thrilled. Next ten minutes the programme came to a temporary halt. After the remaining two items were over, there was demand for me to do the repeat. This time, I happily obliged (ha ha…after all, I am an experienced dancer by now….). My daughter joined and in between, few other children too.

It was really a memorable New Year day for me, a good beginning. There was hardly any technique in my dance but I was glad that it was entertaining to the crowd. As someone remarked, most of the kids danced well, but you were the crowd puller… like item girl !! The dance became the talk of the colony and office. I thanked my family because they never came in my way and we had a treat on 1st.

I have posted the video in photobuckets and the link is given below. Please do watch the dance (and bear with me) and tell me your opinion. Looking forward to hear from you all.

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq20/venkis-corner/?action=view¤t=newyear2009080.flv


http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq20/venkis-corner/?action=view¤t=newyear2009080.flv

No comments:

Post a Comment